- Analysis & Instrumentation
- Cleaning, Polishing & Grinding
- Clinical Analysis & Diagnostics
- Coating & Surface Treatment
- Controlled & Modified Atmospheres
- Cutting, Joining & Heating
- Environmental monitoring & protection
- Freezing & Cooling
- Fumigation & Pest Control
- Inerting, purging, sparging
- Leisure & Hospitality
- Melting & Heating
- Petrochemical Processing & Refining
- Pharmaceutical Processing
- Molding, Foaming, Forming & Extrusion
- Process Chemistry & Refining
- Water Treatment
When using higher strength steels, postheating plays a vital role in maintaining material integrity after welding.
Postheating with a gas torch
Preheating prior to welding often implies having a requirement to postheat the workpiece as well. It is performed directly after welding, often using a gas torch. In a controlled environment, a selected area of the weld is rapidly heated by a high temperature flame to release diffusible hydrogen. This process is then followed by a controlled cooling process, preventing cold cracking.
Choosing the right set-up for your postheating job is key
Postheating can be a complex step requiring careful selection of all process parameters. The wrong gas, equipment or set-up can waste valuable time and money. It is therefore important to have an experienced and reliable partner at your side – a partner who can provide a comprehensive range of products, best-in-class technology and in-depth process expertise.
Postheating with acetylene saves up to 20% heating time
Acetylene has proven to be the ideal fuel gas for postheating projects. The characteristics of the flame allow very rapid and accurate heating, which can save up 20% of the heating time. The Linde LINDOFLAMM® special burner portfolio is making use of the apparent advantages of acetylene as fuel gas. .
LINDOFLAMM® special burners for postheating
The LINDOFLAMM® technology ranges from manual to fully automated postheating systems, all custom-adapted to meet both your cost and performance needs. Designed for ease of automation, our LINDOFLAMM® special burners offer the most cost efficient solutions at the highest safety standards. Our end-to-end offering extends from acetylene supply solutions and special LINDOFLAMM® burners to electronic components and supporting services – covering everything from design to implementation.
Benefits at a glance:
- Easy to apply – maintains material integrity after welding
- Enables high quality welding of high strength steel
- Acetylene has the lowest water vapour content compared with other fuel gases
- Reduces rework and re-conditioning of products
- Reduces risk of hydrogen embrittlement
- Most effective with acetylene as fuel gas: postheating time reduced by up 20%
- Burner selection adapted to customer demands
- Customised gas supply solutions
Linde end-to-end offering
If you work with materials that require preheating and/or postheating, Linde can provide you with a solution that perfectly suits your individual specifications. Furthermore, you can profit from our wide range of services that will lead you from design to implementation. As our preheating and postheating solutions are part of the extensive LINDOFLAMM® programme, we can offer you anything from manual to fully automated systems, meeting both your cost and performance needs.
Materials suitable for postheating include:
- Mild carbon steel
- High strength steels